Google Ads Script - Event snippet Google Ads Remarketing Tags Event snippet Funnelytics -

January 2020 Newsletter: Happy New Year and Happy 1st Anniversary Seasons Vet Clinic!

By January 1, 2020 Cats, Dogs, Newsletter, Nutrition
Happy 2020 to everyone from Seasons Veterinary Clinic!

2020 has a good ring to it, and we hope that it is a wonderful year for all of you and your furry friends! January 7th will mark our 1-year anniversary, and we want to thank you all so much for being a part of this exciting year. We have dreamed of owning our own veterinary practice since finishing vet school 8 years ago, so it has been incredible to watch it grow and take on a life of its own over the last 12 months. Thank you so much for being a part of this dream, we are so honoured to serve and you and your pets.

Antifreeze:

A Potentially Deadly Hazard Many products used to combat the ice and snow that accompany winter are serious health hazards to pets. Antifreeze is commonly used in car engines during winter; however, owners should be very careful when using this chemical around their pets. The quantity of antifreeze that is toxic to an average-sized cat is 1.5 tsp, while 60ml (1/4 cup) is enough to kill a 30lb dog. Since antifreeze is made of a sugar-type compound, ethylene glycol, it is sweet and animals tend to love its flavour. Because of how toxic it is, even just licking the drips off a garage floor can be fatal. How does antifreeze cause damage? Antifreeze initially causes symptoms similar to alcohol poisoning as the chemical is metabolized. This phase typically begins within a few hours of ingestion but lasts less than a day, and then the pet appears normal again. Unfortunately, in the background, tiny crystals are forming in the bloodstream. When these crystals hit the kidneys, they act like tiny knives, completely shredding the kidney and leading to irreparable damage and the death of the animal due to acute kidney failure. So if your pet starts to show signs of kidney failure, the damage to the kidneys has been done and it is too late for treatment to be successful. Can it be treated? When antifreeze has just been consumed, quickly implemented treatment is able to protect the kidneys and save the life of the animal. So the wobbly/drunken stage, or immediately after you notice that your pet has eaten antifreeze is when to bring them into the vet. Acting fast is the only chance we have with this toxin.

Calcium oxalate monohydrate crystals that form from antifreeze and shred the kidneys as they pass through them. Source
A Warm Welcome to Sarah!

We would like to give a warm welcome to our new team member! Sarah was born in Winnipeg and has since moved back and forth between Alberta and Manitoba. Recently, she decided to come back to her roots, and further her passion for animals. Sarah looks forward to helping you and your pet at Seasons Veterinary Clinic.

December Newsletter Trivia Winners:

Congratulations to Boyd’s owners and Tuna & Tofu’s owners on winning our December newsletter trivia! We hope your owners enjoy the goodies!

Want to be in on the monthly trivia? Please watch your mail for our printed newsletter that comes right to your home! Then, be the first to call with the right answer! 

Leave a Reply